HC Deb 07 May 1973 vol 856 c35W
Mr. McCrindle

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he will seek powers to enable him to direct local authorities to pay interest on money paid for the purpose of making up roads where such making-up has not commenced after two years.

Mr. Speed

There is already provision for deposited sums to carry interest in Section 198 of the Highways Act 1959. If my hon. Friend has in mind a particular problem not covered by these provisions, and he would care to give details, I will write to him.