HC Deb 28 March 1973 vol 853 cc330-1W
Mr. Spriggs

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment how many road traffic accidents in the United Kingdom involving vehicles and drivers from Hungary and other European countries, for which information is available, there were in the last two years; and what protection and representation is provided for British citizens who suffer motor vehicle damage and injury to the person as a result of road traffic accidents involving European drivers who do not speak or understand the English language.

Mr. Peyton

I regret that the information requested in the first part of the Question is not available. Claims against foreign nationals for personal injury damages arising out of road accidents in the United Kingdom are handled by the Motor Insurers' Bureau. Claims for property damage, liability for which is not compulsorily insurable, can be pursued in the English courts, and reciprocal arrangements for the enforcement of judgments exist in the case of several major Western European countries.