HC Deb 24 July 1973 vol 860 cc339-40W
Mr. Judd

asked the Minister of State for Defence whether he will undertake a review into the availability of housing for Service personnel and their families when they leave the Services; and whether he will make a statement.

Mr. Ian Gilmour

There is no housing, either local authority or private housing, which is specifically available for ex-Service men, and in consequence it is not possible to initiate the kind of review the hon. Member has in mind. We are, however, concerned that Service men should find suitable housing when they are discharged, and we are currently reviewing the advice which is given to local authorities about applications for housing from Service men and ex-Service men. As I told the hon. Member for Pontypridd (Mr. John) in answer to his Question on 3rd July—[Vol. 859, c. 245–6.]—we are considering what more can be done, within the limits of available finance, to help ex-Service men to meet their housing needs after their discharge.