HC Deb 24 July 1973 vol 860 c328W
39. Mr. Leadbitter

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what proposals she has to assist disabled students in colleges and universities.

Mr. St. John-Stevas

Under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 disabled students are entitled to the same benefits as other disabled persons. In addition, local education authorities have powers under the awards regulations to give additional assistance to students with special needs. If the hon. Member has some specific needs in mind which are not covered by existing arrangements, my right hon. Friend would be ready to consider what might be done about them.