HC Deb 02 July 1973 vol 859 cc36-7W
Mr. Bryant Godman Irvine

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment what advice he gives to local authorities with regard to the operation of Section 52 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971, and of how many agreements made under that section he has had notification.

Mr. Graham Page

The 1968 Act removed the requirement for ministerial approval of these agreements and authorities are not required to notify the Department about them. It is for authorities to decide in particular cases whether to enter into agreements but advice was given in Circular 102/72 about how agreements may enable authorities to grant planning permission for housing in circumstances in which they would otherwise feel obliged to resist it. Further guidance is to be issued shortly. The White Paper—"Widening the Choice: The Next Steps in Housing"(Cmnd. 5280) announced the Government's intention to extend the powers of local authorities in relation to agreements of this kind.