§ Mr. Alfred Morris
asked the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry how many licences have been granted for the exploration of oil and gas in the Irish 242W Sea; by whom the licences are held; and what consideration he is giving to the relevance of this exploration to regional policies in the North-West Region.
§ Mr. Emery
Eight exclusive production licences—which permit exploration as well—covering areas in the Irish Sea off the coast of the North-West Region have been granted to:
- Amoco (UK) Petroleum Limited (1 licence).
- Celtic Basin Oil Exploration Limited, Cluff & Company Limited, Petromin Consultants Limited (1 licence).
- Eason Oil Company Limited (2 licences).
- Gulf Oil (Great Britain) Limited, National Coal Board (Exploration) Limited (2 licences).
- Hydrocarbons Great Britain Limited (2 licences).
The Department has been publicising the opportunities for industry that already exist as a result of offshore oil and gas activities, and a number of firms in the North West are entering this field.