§ Mrs. Kellett-Bowman
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what consultations he has had with professional and other organisations about preparation for parenthood as envisaged in the speech he made on 29th June 1972 at a conference organised by the Pre-school Playgroups Association; and whether he will make a statement.360W
§ Sir K. Joseph
During the final quarter of last year I held 14 meetings during which I sought the views of representatives of the 30 organisations listed below about the practicability of preparing people better for parenthood and their ideas on ways in which this might be achieved. At some of these meetings I was joined by my hon. and learned Friend the Minister of State, Home Office and by representatives of the Department of Education and Science and the Welsh Office.
In addition my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Education and Science is consulting organisations in the educational sector; and in response to the general invitation in my speech to all those with ideas or with experience to share relevant to preparation for parenthood, comments have been received from a wide range of other organisations and individuals, and a number of others have said that they intend to send comments. All the many opinions and suggestions put forward are now being studied by my Department, in consultation with other Departments concerned.
List of Organisations
- Association of Community Workers.
- Association of Directors of Social Services.
- British Association of Social Workers.
- British Council of Churches.
- British Paediatric Association.
- Cambridge Institute of Criminology.
- Catholic Marriage Advisory Council.
- Family Planning Association.
- Family Welfare Association.
- Halifax Association for Parents.
- Health Education Council.
- Health Visitors Association.
- National Association for Maternal and Child Welfare.
- National Association for Mental Health.
- National Association of Nursery Matrons.
- National Association of Probation Officers.
- National Childrens Bureau.
- National Council of Social Service.
- National Council for the Unmarried Mother and Her Child.
- National Marriage Guidance Council.
- National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.
- Royal College of General Practitioners.
- Royal College of Midwives.
- Royal College of Nursing.
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
- Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Social Welfare Commission of the Catholic Bishops' Conference (England and Wales).
- Society of Chief Nursing Officers (Public Health).
- Society of Medical Officers of Health.
- Tavistock Institute of Human Relations.