HC Deb 30 November 1972 vol 847 cc251-2W
Mr. Stratton Mills

asked the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland whether he will list the emergency services available to assist householders and businessmen in Northern Ireland whose premises have been damaged by bomb explosions.

Mr. Peter Mills

The aftermath of a bomb explosion involves a wide variety of people ranging from the security forces to those responsible for cleansing services.

The main schemes of assistance to householders and businessmen whose premises have been damaged are as follows:

Compensation Subject to certain conditions, the Criminal Injuries Acts 1956–70 enable anyone who has suffered malicious damage to his property, to apply to the County Court for compensation. This applies to all types of property, industrial, commercial and domestic.

First-Aid Repairs to Residential Property The Ministry of Community Relations operates a scheme for making damaged residential property wind and weatherproof and thus habitable again as soon as possible. If re-housing is required, this is arranged by the Welfare Authorities and the Northern Ireland Housing Executive.

Immediate Help for Shopkeepers, Traders and Businessmen An emergency finance service has been established by the Ministry of Finance to help traders, shopkeepers and businessmen to recommence trade quickly.

The Ministry of Commerce can help manufacturers and ancillary industries to move into temporary premises. Grants and loans are available towards the removal, installation and replacement costs of buildings, plant, machinery, equipment and stock.

A leaflet providing details of compensation schemes is distributed in areas affected by an explosion. I am sending a copy to my hon. Friend.