HC Deb 29 November 1972 vol 847 c133W
37. Mr. Douglas-Mann

asked the Minister for the Civil Service what grants he makes to civil servants to assist in the acquisition of housing on transfer to an area of high and rising house prices from Northern Ireland or from other areas of relatively low or falling house prices.

Mr. Kenneth Baker

Any civil servant who is transferred in the public interest can qualify for an excess rent allowance the calculation of which, in the case of a house owner, is based on the difference between the sale price of his old house and the purchase price of the new. In addition a transferred officer may qualify for an advance of salary to assist in house purchase. In the case of United Kingdom civil servants moving from Northern Ireland they may qualify for a loss of house value payment where such a loss can be attributed to the current emergency situation.