§ Mrs. Doris Fisher
asked the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry whether he will invite consumer bodies to discuss 290W with him standardisation in preparation for metric conversion, and publish the names of the bodies so invited.
§ Sir G. Howe
I will continue the practice of consulting consumer groups when contemplating any changes, including metric changes, to any of the provisions of Schedules 4–7 of the Weights and Measures Act. The Metrication Board, particularly through its steering committee on consumer interests whose membership is widely representative of consumer organisations, is able to assist me on any metric questions that might arise.
Bodies invited to give their views on such proposals in recent months have included:
- Consumers' Association.
- Co-operative Women's Guild.
- Good Housekeeping Institute.
- National Association of Women's Clubs.
- National Citizens Advice Bureaux Council.
- National Council of Women of Great Britain.
- National Consumer Protection.
- National Federation of Consumer Groups.
- National Federation of Women's Institutes.
- National Union of Townswomen's Guilds.
- Scottish Women's Rural Institute.
- Scottish Co-operative Women's Guild.
- The Housewife's Trust.
- Womens Advisory Committee of the British Standards Institution.
- Womens National Commission.