HC Deb 03 May 1972 vol 836 cc147-8W
55. Mr. Spriggs

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will give details of the grants which are paid to owner occupiers for house improvement work; whether older houses which require such things as new floors, new window frames, walls replastered, replacement of broken toilet cisterns and pipes, new doors outside and inside and door steps, qualify; and what replies he gives to such applications.

Mr. Eyre:

The answer to the first part is as I stated in reply to a Question by the hon. Member for Newcastle-under-Lyme (Mr. Golding) on 26th April. Up to half the amount of an improvement grant can be for any necessary repairs and replacements carried out at the same time, but this work does not qualify on its own. Applications for grant are made to local authorities and it is for them to give any reply.—[Vol. 835, c. 278]

Mr. Rose

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment (1) whether he will take steps to institute a system of new grants to all inner authorities serving conurbations of more than a million, for the purpose of improving the environment in respect of tips, dereliction, cleaning of buildings, creation of river valley parks and other schemes approved by the local authority and his Department;

(2) whether he will take steps to institute a system of new grants to stabilise rates in relation to inner authorities which provide various amenities for non-ratepayers who live outside but work, shop and enjoy their recreation within the authorities' boundary, based on the amenities provided, the numbers involved and the approval of his Department.

Mr. Peter Walker:

Discussions are still continuing with the local authority associations about the future system of grants to local government, on the lines suggested in the Green Paper. It is the intention that any new grant system should be designed to take full account of both the needs for local authorities to incur expenditure and the resources available to them to meet such expenditure.