HC Deb 21 March 1972 vol 833 cc294-5W
50. Mr. Edwin Wainwright

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will list the names of the universities who have and have not health centres within the precincts at which treatment is given under the National Health Service; and what action he intends to take to remedy this defect.

Mr. Alison

There are no statutory health centres provided by local health authorities under Section 21 of the National Health Service Act, 1946, within university precincts. I understand from my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Education and Science that universities are responsible for their own arrangements for the welfare of students and that, while details of these are not available in her Department, most universities provide facilities at which students can obtain treatment under the National Health Service.