HC Deb 09 March 1972 vol 832 c398W
Mr. Meacher

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will provide financial assistance out of the surplus on the Industrial Injuries Fund for persons who have been disabled and are not represented by trade unions to consult an independent physician of their own choice on the degree or origin of their disablement.

Mr. Dean

No. My Department obtains necessary medical evidence on an impartial basis and the independent adjudicating authorities may and do ask for additional evidence, including opinions and assistance as assessors from specialists where they consider this will help in reaching a decision.