HC Deb 25 April 1972 vol 835 c239W
Mr. Arthur Lewis

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services whether he will give details of the present position regarding retirement pensioners who, having earned their pensions in this country, reside in the Commonwealth; and to what extent, under the present rules and regulations of the European Economic Community regarding maintenance and transference of pension rights within the Six, Great Britain on entry will be entitled to claim and operate such rights to those pensioners now living in the Commonwealth.

Mr. Dean

Persons entitled to British retirement pensions can receive them in any country at the rate current when they left Great Britain or when they qualified whilst abroad. Those residing in countries with which we have appropriate reciprocal arrangements also receive any subsequent pension increases. Under European Economic Community rules, United Kingdom nationals going to European Economic Community Countries will have the right to receive their United Kingdom pensions in full, including any subsequent increases, and this right will apply to any United Kingdom nationals now living in Commonwealth countries who subsequently go to one of the countries of the European Economic Community.