§ 51. Mrs. Castle
asked the Secretary of State for Employment what sum his Department paid out in unemployment benefits last year; and what is the amount paid out in 1971 to date in absolute terms and at an annual rate, respectively.
§ Mr. Dudley Smith
I circulate the figures below.
I can tell the right hon. Lady that at annual rates the amount paid in unemployment benefit has increased by approximately £36 million between 1970 and 1971 and from £140 million in 1970 to £176 million in 1971.
Following is the information:
The amounts paid in 1970 were:
- Unemployment benefit: £140,341,343.7.
- Supplementary allowance:
- £68,831,007; 5:8.
The amounts paid to the end of August, 1971 were:
- Unemployment benefit: £117,610,446.12.
- Supplementary allowance: £62,567,135.47
which expressed in annual rates are:
- Unemployment benefit: £176,415,669.18.
- Supplementary allowance: £93,850,703.20.