§ Mr. Marples
asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will increase the Government grant for the clearance of derelict land in the Northwest from 75 per cent. to 85 per cent. to 83W bring the grants in line with rates payable in development areas.
§ Mr. Graham Page
The 75 per cent. grant in the intermediate and derelict land clearance areas coupled with the further assistance through the resources element of the rate support grant which the other 25 per cent. of the expenditure attracts may bring the aggregate assistance for derelict land reclamation up to 85 per cent. in the intermediate and derelict land clearance areas. But except for that levelling of benefit, the Government intend to maintain the present differential rates of grant.
Since the introduction of the 75 per cent. rate of grant the gross cost of approved schemes in the North West has risen from £360,000 in 1968–69 to £1,146,000 in 1970–71.
§ Mr. Dormand
asked the Secretary of State for the Environment what was the number of acres of derelict land in England which the local planning authorities, at 31st December, 1970, considered to justify restoration; how many of that number were in priority areas; and how many acres were reclaimed in 1970.
§ Mr. Peter Walker
The survey information provided by the local planning authorities for 1970 is now being collated by the Department. The figures desired by the hon. Member should be available by September.