HC Deb 28 July 1971 vol 822 c109W
91. Mr. Buchanan

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland what advice and financial assistance he is giving to local authorities who wish to redesign and alter houses and public buildings to accommodate disabled persons.

Mr. Gordon Campbell

I have given local authorities detailed guidance about designing and altering houses, schools, public buildings and conveniences to meet the needs of the disabled.

Under the Social Work (Scotland) Act, 1968, local authorities can give financial assistance for the adaptation of houses to accommodate the disabled, and this expenditure is reckonable for rate support grant. In addition, where houses are being improved with grant under the Housing (Scotland) Acts any extra cost incurred to meet the needs of the disabled can be taken into account in assessing the grant.

Back to