§ Mr. Cormack
asked the Secretary of State for the Environment (1) how many accidents were reported during 1970 on that stretch of the A5 between Gailey roundabout and the Shropshire border; and how many of these involved severe injury or loss of life;
(2) what is the official estimate of the number of vehicles using that stretch of the A5 between Gailey and the Shropshire border on a weekday; and how many of those vehicles are bound for Telford New Town;
(3) how many holidaymakers bound for Wales are estimated to have travelled along that stretch of the A5 between 215W Gailey and the Shropshire border during the summer of 1970.
§ Mr. Eldon Griffiths
1. During 1970, 34 accidents were reported on the A5 between Gailey roundabout and the Shropshire border. Of these four were fatal, eight serious and 22 slight.
2. The number of vehicles using this length of the A5 on an average weekday in August, 1970 (24-hour count) was 10,780. The proportion of traffic bound for Telford and points west is at least 80 per cent. of this figure.
3. Information about the number of holidaymakers bound for Wales during the summer of 1970 is not available.