HC Deb 17 February 1971 vol 811 cc462-3W
125. Mr. Darling

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will request local authorities to designate suitable sites for breaking up vehicles away from residential areas, and to refuse new or renewal of planning permission for such sites in or adjacent to residential areas, and to provide financial assistance to compensate firms or persons compelled to move to designated sites.

Mr. Graham Page

Incompatible land uses should as far as possible be kept apart, and local authorities are well aware of the importance of this in drawing up development plans and in considering planning applications. Sites for breaking up vehicles are only one example of this general proposition. Where an order is made to secure discontinuance of an existing use, persons who suffer damage by depreciation or disturbance are entitled to compensation.