§ Mr. Iremonger
asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer what Crown Land to the north of Forest Road and west of Elmbridge Road, Hainault, in the borough of Redbridge is used by the borough council; what restrictions there have been or still are on building in that land; and to what extent these restrictions have been and are to be modified in the future.
§ Mr. Higgins
Fifty-seven acres of Crown land north of Forest Road and west of Elmbridge Road, Hainault, were sold to the borough council's predecessors in 1939, the use being restricted to educational purposes or recreational purposes in connection with a school. These restrictions remain in force and building for any other purpose must have the consent of the Crown Estate Commissioners. From time to time the Commissioners have allowed parts of the land to be used temporarily for other purposes; for example, housing, shops, allotments and a gypsy encampment. The Commissioners have no information about the borough council's plans for the future use of the land.