HC Deb 11 November 1970 vol 806 cc176-7W
70. Mr. Carter-Jones

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will appoint inspectors to see that contractors and resident engineers ensure that hardship and suffering caused to residents in the area of motorway development is kept to a minimum; if he will reconsider policy regarding compensation; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Graham-Page

No. Highway authorities, including my Department already do their best to keep disturbance caused by large-scale road works to a minimum. If residents near motorway works think there is unnecessary disturbance they should bring their complaint to the immediate notice of my Department or, if it is a principal road motorway, to the notice of the responsible local highway authority.

Compensation policy is currently under an extensive and thorough review.