HC Deb 20 March 1970 vol 798 c239W
Mr. John Lee

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government if he will seek powers to issue instructions on minimum standards of repair and maintenance for council houses.

Mr. Freeson

Local authorities are required by the Housing Act, 1961 to keep in repair the structure and exterior of their houses (including drains, gutters and external pipes) and to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the house for the supply of water, gas and electricity, for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences) and for space and water heating. My right hon. Friend is considering the possibility of a study of this aspect of housing management, as there is scope for improvement.