§ Mr. Lomas
asked the Secretary of State for Employment and Productivity if he will state the names of firms in the Huddersfield area which have applied and been granted work permits or vouchers for aliens and Commonwealth citizens during the past 4 years; and if he will state the number applied for, and the number granted, in each case.
§ Mr. Bryan
I regret that the names of firms applying for vouchers and work permits cannot be disclosed.
Applications for work permits for aliens are dealt with mainly at the headquarters of the Department and figures are not kept on a geographical basis. Work permits for textile workers are however issued locally.
The following table shows for the Huddersfield area:
- (a) the number of applications and the number of work permits issued to aliens to work in the textile industry;
- (b) the total number of applications and the total number of vouchers issued to Commonwealth immigrants;
- (c) the number of these vouchers issued for work in the textile industry.
Permits Vouchers Textile Industry Issues Year Applications Issues Applications Total Textile Industry 1966 2 2 262 42 20 1967 1 1 70 92 36 1968 — — 37 41 24 1969 1 1 89 46 32
1. As there is a considerable time-lag between applications and the issue of vouchers to citizens of some Commonwealth countries, the figures of applications and issues in any one year are not comparable.
2. The figures relate to Huddersfield, including urban areas of Meltham, Holmfirth, Denby, Dale, Kirkburton and Staithwaite.316W