HC Deb 16 February 1970 vol 796 cc21-2W
96. Mr. Waddington

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will take steps to ensure that retirement pensioners who emigrate to Commonwealth countries receive pension increases as and when such increases are granted to similar pensioners in this country.

Mr. Ennals

No. It has been the rule for many years that, when pensions are increased in this country, the increase is not given to pensioners living abroad, unless there is a social security reciprocal agreement with the other country under which both countries agree to pay their pensions at the full current rates to their pensioners living in the other country. There are good reasons for this rule, but we are always ready to consider whether there is scope for modifying it in the agreements we negotiate with other countries.