HC Deb 03 February 1970 vol 795 c83W
Mr. Pardoe

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government what plans he has to help water boards in rural areas to meet the very high capital and maintenance cost involved in extending a mains water supply to those houses still without it.

Mr. Denis Howell

My right hon. Friend pays grant towards the capital cost of distribution works in any rural scheme a principal purpose of which is to extend piped supplies for the first time to houses built before 1968. The maximum grant under the formula published in Circular 75/67 is payable if the cost reaches £380 per property. Where the cost is higher, it is open to a water board to submit a special case for additional grant.