§ 20. Mr. Booth
asked the Secretary of State for Local Government and Regional Planning if he will make a statement on the effects on regional development of the Furness area of the proposed improvements of the road connection between Barrow-in-Furness and the M6, arising from his recent examination of this road.
§ Mr. Urwin
Improvements already made to this road usefully support the encouragement to industrial development in Furness provided by the Government's regional policy and this effect will be enhanced by the further improvements now in progress or being planned. The following is a list of recent improvements, improvements under construction and further improvements programmed.
Recent Improvements on the A590 Trunk Road
- Backbarrow Diversion (1965).
- Ulverston Diversion Stage I (June, 1966).
- Newby Bridge to Backbarrow (opened to traffic April, 1969).
- Widening in Lindal Village (December, 1969).
Schemes under Construction
- New Pool Bridge (estimated completion date early 1970; opened to traffic 19th November, 1969).
- Ulverston Diversion Stage II (estimated completion date June, 1970).
Further Schemes Programmed Programme Year Barrow Banks Diversion (some preliminary filling work completed) 1969–70 Arrad Foot improvement 1970–71 Improvement at Haverthwaite Cross Roads 1970–71 Widening south of Greenodd 1970–71