§ LORD TREFGARNE
asked Her Majesty's Government:
- (i) How many civil radar installations in the United Kingdom are equipped to interrogate airborne S.S.R. transponders;
- (ii) Where they are located;
- (iii) Which of them are available to the Approach Controllers at Heathrow and Gatwick?
§ LORD BESWICK
The programme for secondary surveillance radar installations is planned to improve the coverage and quality of information on an area basis and is not confined to particular airports. There are at present five civil installations in the United Kingdom which are equipped to interrogate852WA airborne S.S.R. transponders. They are situated at:
- London (Heathrow) Airport (Middlesex),
- Ash (Kent),
- Ventnor (Isle of Wight),
- St. Annes (Lancashire),
- Clee Hill (Shropshire).
Additional installations are planned for 1971–72 at:
- Lowther Hill (Dumfries-shire),
- Stornoway (Isle of Lewis),
- St. Marys (Isles of Scilly),
- Burrington (Devon),
- Glasgow (Abbotsinch) Airport (Renfrewshire).
None of these is available to Approach Controllers at Heathrow or Gatwick Airports, but in view of the number of aircraft movements at Heathrow S.S.R. interrogation and display equipment is being installed there and should become operational in 1971.
House adjourned at twenty-eight minutes past nine o'clock.