§ LORD SWANSEA
asked Her Majesty's Government:
- (i) How many registered firearms dealers, during each of the last three years for which figures are available, have been authorised by the Defence Council under Section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968 to possess prohibited weapons;
- (ii) Whether any persons, other than registered dealers, have been so authorised during the same period, and if so, how many;
- (iii) What is the total number of registered dealers and other persons at present so authorised;
- (iv) What standard conditions are attached to such authority; and
- (v) How many such authorities, if any, have been revoked during the same period.
§ LORD BESWICK
The functions of the Defence Council under Section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968 with respect to prohibited weapons and ammunition were transferred on 1st November, 1968, to the Secretary of State for the Home Department and the Secretary of State for Scotland. The information is as follows:
(i) The numbers of registered firearms dealers given authorities under Section 836WA 5 of the Firearms Act 1968 or the earlier corresponding provisions were
During the year ended Number 31st October 1967 … 42 31st October 1968 … 37 31st October 1969 … 39
(ii) The numbers of other persons given authority to possess prohibited weapons and ammunition were
The last of these figures includes 12 authorities conferred individually, on renewal, on persons previously authorised in groups by 4 authorities.
During the year ended Number 31st October 1967 … 26 31st October 1968 … 36 31st October 1969 … 48
(iii) The number of registered firearms dealers at present authorised to possess prohibited weapons and ammunition is 115; the number of other persons is 109.
(iv) The conditions attached to authorities given since 1st November, 1968, are not standard but are related to individual circumstances.
(v) Four authorities have been revoked during the three years ending 31st October, 1969.
The above figures exclude short-term authorities given for the purpose of stage, film or television productions.
House adjourned at fourteen minutes before seven o'clock.