§ Mr. Rossi
asked the President of the Board of Trade if he is aware that former employees of a firm in liquidation, about which the hon. Member for Hornsey has176W
Mr. H. G. Simpson, O.B.E. (Housing Manager, Lambeth).
Professor R. M. Titmuss, C.B.E. (Professor of Social Administration at the University of London, L.S.E., Deputy-Chairman, Supplementary Benefits Commission).
The Secretary is Mr. D. G. John of the Department of Health and Social Security.
The Committee will have the following terms of reference:
- 1. To consider in the light of paragraphs 41 and 42 of the White Paper (Cmnd, 3883) the problems of one-parent families in our society.
- 2. To examine the nature of any special difficulties which the parents of the various kinds of one-parent families may encounter ; the extent to which they can obtain financial support when they need it ; and the ways in which other provisions and facilities are of help to them.
- 3. To consider in what respects and to what extent it would be appropriate to give one-parent families further assistance, having regard to:
- (i) the preservation of the discretion vested in local authorities by Section 1 of the Children Act 1948, Section 1 of the Children and Young Persons Act 1963, and sections 12 and 15 of the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968, as to the exercise of their duties under those provisions ;
- (ii) the need to maintain equity as between
- one-parent families and other families ;
- (iii) practical and economic limitations.