HC Deb 16 July 1969 vol 787 c132W
Mr. Bruce-Gardyne

asked the Secretary of State for Employment and Productivity by what authority employees can be debarred from receipt of redundancy payments when their redundancy results from a change in the terms of their employment which they are unable to accept.

Mr. Harold Walker

Under the Redundancy Payments Act, 1965, an employee whose dismissal is attributable to redundancy may receive from the same employer an offer of alternative employment or of employment on alternative terms.

Where the contract is terminated and a new contract is offered, the main provisions about refusal of changed terms are those in Section 2(4) of the Act.

Binding decisions about entitlement to redundancy payments can be given only on application by the employee to an industrial tribunal. There is a right of appeal from the tribunal decision to the High Court on a point of law.