§ Mr. Ridley
asked the Minister of Technology if he will set out a list of all advisory committees, subordinate boards, commissions, agencies, or other official committees responsible to him.
§ Mr. Benn
The bodies on which I mainly rely for advice, which have a combined membership of nearly 700 made up of people with a wide knowledge and experience of industry, science and technology, are as follows:
List of Main Advisory Committees, Councils and Boards
- Advanced Computer Technology Project Advisory Committee.
- Advisory Board on Relations with Universities.
- Advisory Committee for Chemicals and Process Engineering.
- Advisory Committee for Hovercraft.
- Advisory Committee on Investment Grants.
- Advisory Committee for Machine Tools and Numerical Control.
- Advisory Committee for Mechanical Engineering.
- Advisory Committee for Mineral Processing and Metals Extraction.
- Advisory Committee for Research on Measurements and Standards.
- Advisory Committee for Shipbuilding and Shipping.
- Advisory Committee on Tip Safety.
- Advisory Council on Calibration and Measurement.
- Advisory Council for Research and Development (Fuel and Power).
- Advisory Council for Research and Development for Iron and Steel.
- Advisory Council on Technology.
- Aeronautical Research Council.
- Automation Liaison Committee.
- British Approval Service for Electrical Equipment in Flammable Atmospheres Advisory Council.
- Committee on Quality Assurance.
- Committee on Tribology.
- Domestic Coal Consumers Council.
- Electronics Research Council.
- Energy Advisory Council.
- Explosives in Mines Committee.
- Fire Research Station Steering Committee.
- Forest Products Research Laboratory Steering Committee.
- Furniture Development Council.
- Hydraulics Research Station Steering Committee.
- Industrial Coal Consumers Council.
- Industrial Expansion Act Advisory Committee.
- Industrial Reorganisation Corporation.
- Institute of Advanced Machine Tool and Control Technology Steering Committee.
- Inter-service Metallurgical Research Council.
- Iron and Steel Advisory Committee.
- Iron and Steel Consumers Council.
- Joint Government/Oil Industry Oil Planning Committee.
- Joint Services (Non-Metallic) Materials Research Board.
- Laboratory of the Government Chemist Steering Committee.
- Machine Tool Expert Committee.
- Machine Tool Technical Committee.
- Metrication Board.
- Mechanical Engineering Advisory Committee.
- Mining Qualifications Board.
- Ministry of Technology Advisory Committee.
- National Advisory Council for the Motor Manufacturing Industry.
- National Computing Centre.
- National Electronics Council.
- National Engineering Laboratory Advisory Board.
- National Joint Pneumoconiosis Committee.
- National Physical Laboratory Advisory Board.
- National Research and Development Corporation.
Industrial Advisors Date of Appointment Previous Firm and Appointment Direct Cost £ F. C. de Paula … 10th July, 1967 … Senior Executive Partner, Robson, Morrow & Co. 7,500 B. R. T. Aitken … 1st November, 1967 … Company Secretary, British Sidac Ltd. 5,165 N. L. Rigby … 1st April, 1968 … Chairman, Nabisco Limited 7,500 P. N. Davies … 1st January, 1969 … Director and Managing Director, B.M.C. Ltd., B.M.C. Service Ltd. 7,500 A. C. Buck … 1st October, 1969 … Director—Household Division, Reckitt & Colman Ltd. 7,500 D. J. Liston … 3rd November, 1969 … Managing Director, Shorko—Metal Box Limited 6,000
In addition to the direct cost shown, the estimated cost of support to this group is £22,000 per annum. This includes administration support, secretarial and office services, accommodation etc.