HC Deb 16 December 1969 vol 793 cc264-5W
56. Mr. Blenkinsop

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government what action his Department is taking to encourage tree planting in town and country to improve environment.

Mr. Skeffington

A great deal has been done to encourage tree planting. Under the Housing Act, 1969, local housing authorities can obtain grants for tree planting in general improvement areas; the Countryside Act, 1968, provides for the payment of grant for tree planting anywhere in the countryside, and for the acquisition of land for that purpose; and under the Civic Amenities Act, 1967, local planning authorities when granting planning permission must ensure that adequate conditions are imposed for the planting of new trees where this is appropriate. In addition the importance of tree planting has been emphasised at the conferences on Trees and Woodlands which I have held in various parts of the country.

A new and enlarged version of the Department's booklet "Trees in Town and City" will be published next year.