HC Deb 11 December 1969 vol 793 c181W
Mr. Wright

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland what resources are available under the Social Work (Scotland) Act to assist new community centres established in Glasgow.

Mr. Ross

Most community centres are provided by education authorities and town councils and expenditure on them is reek onable for rate support grant. Under the Physical Training and Recreation Act, 1937 local authorities are empowered to make grants to voluntary organisations providing community centres. While local authorities are also enabled by the Social Work (Scotland) Act, 1968 to make grants to voluntary organisations the sole or primary object of which is to promote social welfare, I would not expect them to use their powers under this Act to establish community centres.

Back to