§ Mr. Speed
asked the Minister for the Civil Service how many Ministers of State there were in the Administration in November, 1968, and in September, 1964; what were the respective totals of their salaries at those two dates; what are the individual salaries of those who hold office as Minister of State in November; and by what authority they are established.
§ Mrs. Hart
The information is as follows: 23 and 16; £142,000 and £66,250. The individual salaries are:—
- Minister without Portfolio.
- Minister for Planning and Land.
- Minister of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs.
- Minister of Defence for Administration.
- Minister of Defence for Equipment.
£5,625Ministers of State at:—
- Board of Trade (3).
- Department of Economic Affairs (1).
- Department of Education and Science (3).
- Department of Health and Social Security(2).
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office (4).
- Home Office (1).
- Ministry of Technology (1).
- Scottish Office (1).
- Treasury (1).
- Welsh Office (1).
Ministers of State are prerogative appointments. Payment of their salaries is authorised by Section 1, subsections (1) and (2), of the Ministerial Salaries Consolidation Act 1965 as amended by:
- (a) The Ministry of Aviation (Dissolution) Order, 1967 (S.I. 1967 No. 155);
- (b) The Ministry of Land and Natural Resources (Dissolution) Order, 1967 (S.I. 1967 No. 156); and
- (c) The Secretary of State for Social Services Order, 1968 (S.I. 1965 No. 1699).