HC Deb 26 July 1968 vol 769 cc278-9W
Mr. McMaster

asked the Minister of Technology whether he has reached a decision on the interim finance needed by Short Brothers and Harland Limited while their proposals for financing their long-term programme are being considered.

Mr. Benn

Yes. As the House was informed on 24th June, 1968 a firm of chartered accountants has been asked to assist my Department in considering Shorts' long-term proposals. I expect to receive their report by the middle of August and decisions will be taken as soon as possible thereafter. In order to supplement the working capital of the company in the meanwhile, my Department is offering a loan of £1 million. A Supplementary Estimate for this sum will be presented in due course; in the meantime an advance will be made from the Civil Contingencies Fund.—[Vol. 767, c. 15–16.]