§ Mr. Murton
asked the Minister of Labour from what bodies has written evidence been received by the Phelps-Brown Committee; and which of this evidence has been published.
§ Mr. Gunter
Organisations which have so far submitted written evidence to the Committee are listed below. Evidence has also been received from Government Departments and from a number of individuals. None of the evidence received has been published by the Committee but it has in some cases been released to the Press by the organisations themselves.
- National Federated Electrical Association
- Langley London Ltd.
- National. Federation of Building Trades Operatives.
- Amalgamated Slaters, Tilers and Roofing Operatives.
industries, textiles, coal and railways, in 1951, 1960 and 1967, respectively;
(2) what were the numbers employed in Lancashire in manufacturing and non-manufacturing industries, respectively, in 1951, 1960 and 1967.
§ Mr. Fernyhough
Employment estimates for counties are not available either in total or for separate industries and those for Lancashire could not be produced without excessive cost in staff time.
The following table shows estimates for the North-Western Region, which covers Lancashire, Cheshire and the High Peak district of Derbyshire. The estimates for 1951 are based on the 1948 edition of the standard Industrial Classification; those for 1960 and 1966, the latest date for which information is available, are based on the 1958 edition. In order that the 1951 figures may be compared with estimates for later years, estimates for 1959 on both bases are also given.
- The Institute of Building.
- Tersons Ltd.
- National Joint Council for the Building Industry.
- Federation of Associations of Specialists and Sub-Contractors.
- Galliford and Sons Ltd.
- Draughtsmen and Allied Technicians Association
- Amalgamated Union of Building Trade Workers.
- The Building Surveyors Institute.
- National Federation of Master Painters and Decorators in Scotland.
- Construction Industry Training Board.
- Institution of Municipal Engineers.
- London Boroughs Association.
- Amalgamated Society of Woodworkers.
- National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Transport and General Workers' Union.
- The National Association of Operative Plasterers.
- Federation of Master Builders.
- Gloucestershire County Council.
- National Federation of Plastering Contractors.
- Greater London Council.
- National Federation of Building Trades Employers.
- Federation of Civil Engineering Contractors.
- Association of Supervisory Staff, Executives and Technicians.
- General and Municipal Workers Union. New Zealand Government.
- Scottish Special Housing Association Ltd.
- National House-Builders Registration Council.
- Woolwich Trades Council.
- Amalgamated Union of Asphalt Workers.
- National Federation of Demolition Contractors.
- Electrical Trades Union.
- Heating and Domestic Engineers Union.
- Thermal Insulation Contractors Associations.
- Engineering Employers Federation.
- The Haldane Society.
- Association of Municipal Corporations.