§ Mr. Raymond Fletcher
asked the President of the Board of Trade if he will make a statement about the proposal to set up an East European Trade Council.
§ Mr. Jay
I have today signified my approval of the establishment of an East European Trade Council. This has the full support of the Association of British Chambers of Commerce, the Confederation of British Industries, the British National Export Council, the Russo-British Chamber of Commerce and the London Chamber of Commerce. The Council's purpose is to stimulate trade with the countries of East Europe (including U.S.S.R.), and it will work closely with the organisations already active in the field, supporting and supplementing their work.
Mr. Alexander Ross, Chairman of United Dominions Trust Ltd., has agreed to act as Chairman of the East European Trade Council. The other members are:
- J. B. Scott, C.B.E., D.F.C.—Deputy Chairman—East European Trade Council. Managing Director—Black Clawson International Ltd.
- H. D. Anderson. Managing Director—John Loudon & Co. Ltd.
- Val. B. Arnott. Chairman and Managing Director—Pharaoh Gane & Co. Ltd.
- H. F. Bibby. Director—A.E.I. International Ltd.
- G. G. Bunzl. Chairman—Bunzl Pulp & Paper Ltd.
- John N. Cooper. Shell International.
- H. E. S. Hayward. Secretary—The Russo-British Chamber of Commerce.
- A. N. Jackson. Commercial & Industrial Consultant.
- A. R. Langdon. Taylor Woodrow (Building Exports) Ltd.
- W. L. Mather. Chairman—Mather & Platt Ltd.
- K. J. C. May. Joint Managing Director—Guest Industrials Ltd.
- John M. M. Meyer, C.B.E. Chairman—Montague L. Meyer Ltd.
- J. W. B. Peel. I.C.I. Ltd.
- R. Reid-Adam, C.B.E. British National Export Council.
- S. C. Seward, O.B.E. Director—Stone-Platt Industries Ltd.
- P. G. Smyrk. Director—Johnson Matthey & Co. Ltd.
- G. L. Standing. Chairman—International Finance & Services Ltd.
- E. S. Taylor. Head of the East European Dept., Confederation of British Industry.
- P. F. D. Tennant, C.M.G., O.B.E. Director-General—British National Export Council.
- K. R. Turner. G.K.N. Building Supplies & Services Ltd.
- R. Wonfor. Chairman—Roneo Ltd.
- A. R. B. Hore. Executive Secretary—East European Trade Council.
- W. J. Luxton, C.B.E. Director—London Chamber of Commerce.