§ Mr. Sharples
asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will give a list of those bodies, both public and 227W private, to whom he has circulated his proposals for changes in the law relating to gambling; and why these widely circulated proposals have not been made available to Members of Parliament.
§ Mr. Roy Jenkins
The proposals have been sent to the bodies listed below and their comments invited. Parallel consultations have been undertaken by my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Scotland. In addition, copies have been sent to the right hon. and learned Member for St. Marylebone (Mr. Hogg). The proposals are entirely provisional, and I thought it right that the authorities and organisations most closely concerned should be given a first opportunity of commenting on them in confidence at this preliminary stage.
- Association of Chief Police Officers.
- Association of Conservative Clubs Ltd.
- Association of Independent Cinemas.
- Association of Liberal Clubs.
- Association of Municipal Corporations.
- British Gaming Association.
- Churches' Council on Gambling.
- Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis.
- County Councils' Association.
- Essoldo Group of Companies.
- Greater London Council.
- Justices' Clerks Society.
- Magistrates' Association.
- Manchester Betting Licensing Committee.
- National Association of Bingo Clubs.
- Night Clubs' Association.
- Roman Catholic Church.
- Rural District Councils' Association.
- Working Men's Club and Institute Union Ltd.