HC Deb 03 March 1966 vol 725 cc331-2W
42. Dame Irene Ward

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what guidance is given to university students whose grant is based on parental income when the circumstances of such income alter through illness, unemployment or death which may materially alter the basis of the grant; and what study he has made of the case, details of which have been supplied by the hon. Member for Tynemouth.

Mr. Prentice

When the parents of an award-holder have suffered a sub- stantial drop in income, a claim may be made for the parental contribution to be based on current income. I am sending the hon. Member one of the booklets published by the Department which contains this advice. I understand that the local education authority is prepared to consider such a claim in the case to which the hon. Member refers.