HC Deb 12 July 1965 vol 716 cc33-4W
Mr. Kitson

asked the Minister of Transport what liaison exists between his Department and the Ministry of Housing and Local Government before decisions are taken on planning development or restaurants, cafés and filling stations on trunk roads and before planning permission is granted; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Tom Fraser

Planning decisions are given by local planning authorities. Before granting planning consent for development within 220 feet of the centre of a trunk road, or with access to a trunk road, the planning authority must consult my divisional road engineer, who may direct that the application be refused or that conditions must be imposed on any consent granted.

If the applicant appeals against a refusal the Minister of Housing and Local Government holds an inquiry and consults me where necessary before making a decision.

The Ministry of Housing and Local Government and my Department have agreed a policy with regard to petrol filling stations which is set out in the Ministry of Housing and Local Government's Circular No. 25/58. My divisional road engineers consider applications affecting trunk roads in the light of that policy. Applications for other development are considered from the point of view of the safety and convenience of trunk road users.

Forward to