§ 78. Mr. Mitchell
asked the Minister of Health how many and which local or cottage hospitals have been closed in the last three years, are expected to close during 1965, or are expected to close during 1966–68, respectively.
§ Mr. K. Robinson
Twenty hospitals which appear to fall within the definition have been closed in the last three years; hospital boards are consulting local interests about the possible closure of five hospitals in 1965 and one hospital in the period 1966–68. Until the present review of the Hospital Plan has been completed I cannot estimate what other closures might take place in the period specified.
The details are as follows:
Hospitals closed between 1962 and 1964
- The Hollins, Whitehaven.
- Meadow View House, Whitehaven.
- Poppleton Hall, York.
- Seacroft Maternity, Withernsea.
- Crookhill Hall, Conisbrough.
- Victoria Memorial, Ashbourne.
- Exning Isolation, Newmarket.
- Welwyn Garden City Maternity.
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children, Shadwell.
- Victoria Hospital for Children, Chelsea.
- Thomas Lye Convalescent, Brighton.
- Hednesford, Staffs.
- Kenilworth Convalescent.
- Knightwick Sanatorium, Worcester.
- Lake View, Littleborough.
- Ashwood Dale, Brixton.
- Bay View, Lancaster.
- Newton Cottage, Newton-le-Willows.
- Liverpool Chest Hospital.
- Liverpool Stanley.
Hospitals about which Boards are consulting local interests regarding possible closure in:—
- Dilston Hall Maternity, Corbridge-on-Tyne.
- Galemire, Cleator Moor.
- Ellerbeck, Whitehaven.
- Royal Eye and Ear, Bradford.
- Sealyham, Wolfscastle.