HC Deb 08 July 1965 vol 715 c294W
58. Mr. Fisher

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether, in suitable cases, he will request local authorities to release children in their care for emigration to Commonwealth countries, especially Australia.

Miss Bacon

No. Local authorities are aware that they have power under Section 17 of the Children Act, 1948, to arrange for the emigration of a child in their care. My right hon. and learned Friend does not consider that it would be right for him to urge them to make more use of this power.