HC Deb 01 July 1965 vol 715 c125W
Mr. Evelyn King

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government if he will introduce legislation to protect the interests of private householders injuriously affected by the user of an adjoining building which is noisy or offensive.

Mr. MacColl

Local authorities already have powers, under the Public Health Act 1936 and the Noise Abatement Act 1960, to take abatement action if they consider that a statutory nuisance exists. Private individuals may start proceedings by complaining to a magistrate, although in the case of noise this approach must be made by not less than three occupiers of premises affected. Proceedings for nuisance can also be taken at common law. My right hon. Friend does not think that further legislation is needed, but he will gladly consider any evidence that the hon. Member cares to send him.