HC Deb 26 January 1965 vol 705 cc167-8W
33. Mr. Iremonger

asked the Minister of Pensions and National Insurance what is the general position, under his regulations, in regard to social security with special reference to contributions and benefits, of aliens and other immigrants; and what their position is in regard to eligibility for family allowances and National Assistance.

Miss Herbison

People coming to this country from abroad, whether they are British or not, may register, if they wish, under the National Insurance Scheme and start paying contributions immediately. Otherwise, they are generally required to register when they obtain employment or when they have been here for 26 weeks. They can qualify for National Insurance benefits under the usual rules. They may receive family allowances when they have lived here long enough to satisfy the residence conditions which are appropriate in their case, having regard to their nationality, place of birth, previous residence, etc. If they are not employed and are in need, they may claim National Assistance which is payable without any condition as to nationality or length of residence.