§ 61. Mr. Gibson-Watt
asked the Secretary of State for Wales if he will give the names of members of the Regional Economic Council for Wales; and what representation county councils will have.
§ 62. Mr. Probert
asked the Secretary of State for Wales what arrangements he has made to set up the Welsh Economic Council.
§ Mr. James Griffiths
With effect from 1st March the Welsh Economic Council will be set up with the Minister of State for Wales as Chairman. Sir Miles Thomas and Mr. R. C. Mathias have consented to serve as Vice-Chairmen.
Following are the terms of reference and the list of members:
WELSH ECONOMIC COUNCIL
Terms of reference
- (1) To assist in the formulation of plans for Wales having regard to the best use of its resources;
- (2) To advise on the steps necessary for implementing the plans;
- (3) To advise on the implications for Wales of national economic policies.
LIST OF MEMBERS
Mr. Goronwy Roberts, M.P.. Minister of State for Wales.
- Sir Miles Thomas, Chairman, Development Corporation for Wales.
- Mr. R. C. Mathias, Secretary, South Wales T.U.C. Regional Advisory Committee.
- Lieut.-Colonel the Hon. R. E. Beaumont, T.D., D.L., Chairman, Montgomeryshire Agricultural Executive Committee. Member of the Development Commission.
- Councillor G. R. Beeston, M.B.E., Chairman, Council for Wales.
- Mr. J. A. Berry, Director and General Manager, Aluminium Corporation, Dolgarrog.
- Mr. Bryn Davies, South Wales Organiser, National Union of Agricultural Workers.
- Mr. J. Llefelys Davies, C.B.E., Chairman, Mid-Wales Industrial Development Association. Former General Manager, Milk Marketing Board.
- Councillor H. E. Edmonds, M.B.E., Chairman, Cardiff City Council Planning Committee. Regional Secretary, South Wales National Federation of Building Trades Operatives.
- Dr. Huw T. Edwards, Chairman, Wales Tourist and Holidays Association Ltd.
- Councillor W. Armon Ellis, Chairman of Finance Committee, Flintshire County Council.
- Mr. R. C. Hilton, Assistant General Manager, British Railways (Western Region).
- Mr. Julian Hodge, Chairman of Anglo Auto Finance Co. and Gwent and West of England Enterprises.
- Mr. W. M. Jenkins, Head of Mineral Workings Division of BISRA Laboratories, Sketty Hall.
- Mr. Tom Jones, O.B.E., Secretary, North Wales T.U.C., Regional Advisory Committee.
- Mr. T. Mervyn Jones, C.B.E, Chairman of the Welsh Gas Board.
- Professor E. T. Nevin, Professor of Applied Economics, University College, Aberystwyth.
- Mr. A. J. Nicholas, C.B.E., Chairman, Aberdare Holdings Ltd., and Deputy Chairman, South Wales Switchgear Ltd.
- Councillor R. H. Owen, B.E.M., Caernarvon County Council.
- Mr. E. H. Ramage, M.B.E., South Wales Director, Sir Robert McAlpine and Sons Ltd.
- Alderman Mrs. Dorothy Rees, C.B.E., Chairman, Glamorgan County Council and member of Welsh Joint Education Committee.
- Councillor A. Robertson, Chairman, Anglesey County Council.
- Mr. M. M. Rosser, Accountant.
- Alderman W. J. F. Thomas, Carmarthenshire County Council and Vice-Chairman of South-West Wales River Authority.
- Mr. Will Whitehead, President, South Wales Area of the National Union of Mineworkers.
- Professor W. M. Williams, Professor of Sociology, University College, Swansea.