§ Mr. James Hamilton
asked the Secretary of State for Scotland whether he will now announce the composition of the Scottish Economic Planning Council.
§ Mr. Ross
The following have accepted my invitation to serve as members of the Scottish Economic Planning Council:
Vice-ChairmanGeorge Middleton, Esq., C.B.E., Chairman, Scottish Bard for Industry.
- Councillor James Aiton, Convener, Lanark County Council.
- H. Ballantyne, Esq., Managing Director, D. Ballantyne & Bros. Ltd., Peebles; Member, Board of Trade Advisory Committee under Local Employment Acts.
- George Bell Barker, Esq., Assistant Secretary, Nobel Division, I.C.I. Ardeer.
- W. R. R. Bruce, Esq., Director, W. G. Grant & Co. Ltd., Dundee.
- P. Connor, Esq., Regional Officer, Amalgamated Engineering Union.
- Dr. S. C. Curran, Principal & Vice-Chancellor, Strathclyde University.
- G. Dunlop, Esq., Vice-President, National Farmers' Union of Scotland.
- Provost W. F. Dunnet, Provost, Wick.
- G. R. Gay, Esq., Chairman, St. Cuthbert's Co-operative Association, Edinburgh.
- W. D. H. Gregson, Esq., Assistant General Manager, Ferranti Ltd.; Member of the Economic Development Committee for the Electronics Industry.
- J. Jack, Esq., General Secretary, General Council, Scottish Trades Union Congress.
- J. Gibson Kerr, Esq., C.B.E., Agent and Clerk, Convention of Royal Burghs.
- A. Kitson, Esq., General Secretary, Scottish Commercial Motormen's Union.
- Treasurer R. S. Lennox, Treasurer, Aberdeen Corporation.
- Councillor T. McCalmont. Member, Joint Advisory Panel for the Building and Civil Engineering Industries in Scotland.
- Councillor R. McCutcheon, Convener of Town Planning Committee, Glasgow Corporation.
- Councillor J. G. Methven, Convener, Midlothian County Council.
- A. R. Miller, Esq., Chairman, Motherwell Bridge (Holdings) Ltd.
- Sir Steuart Mitchell, K.B.E., C.B., Chairman, Economic Development Committee for Machine Tool Industry.
- W. Scholes, Esq., Chairman, General Council, Scottish Trades Union Council.
- H. Whitson, Esq., Chairman, Melville, Dundas & Whitson Ltd.
- One or two additional members may be appointed later.
I myself or one of my Ministerial colleagues in the Scottish Office will take the Chair whenever possible.
The terms of reference of the Council are as follows:
- (a) to assist in the formulation of plans for the development of the Scottish economy, having regard to the best use of Scotland's resources;
- (b) to advise on the steps necessary for implementing the plans on the basis of information and assessments provided by the Scottish Economic Planning Board;
- (c) to advise on the regional implications of national economic policies.