HC Deb 15 February 1965 vol 706 c174W
Mr. F. Noel-Baker

asked the Minister of Transport why the vehicle licensing departments of local authorities and the police are not permitted to accept motor insurance polices as evidence that motor vehicles are insured.

Mr. Tom Fraser

Insurance policies are not normally endorse to show renewals, and under the Road Traffic Act, 1960, a motor insurance policy is not effective until a Certificate of Insurance has been delivered. Certificates are, in any case, much more convenient documents than policies.