§ Mr. Kenneth Robinson
asked the Minister of Health if he will list by regions those schemes estimated to cost £1,000,000 and over which were scheduled in the Hospital Plan, Command Paper No. 1604, to start not later than 1970–71, and which have now been deferred beyond 1973–74, indicating the present estimated cost of each scheme.
§ Mr. Barber
With changes in priorities, involving the development of new projects and the bringing forward and enlargement of others, it has been necessary, despite an increased hospital programme in real terms to defer until after 1973–74 some of the projects in Command Paper 1604. Of the schemes so deferred, those likely to cost more than £1 million are listed below. As the programme has been expanded and revised, some of the schemes have changed considerably from what was earlier envisaged, and are likely to change further. For this reason and because an early start is not expected, estimates made now of their eventual cost would be misleading.Newcastle Region—Sunderland General Hospital—new ward blocks.East Anglian Region
- West Suffolk General Hospital—geriatric and maternity units, etc.
- Great Yarmouth New Hospital—first phase.North West Metropolitan Region
- Royal Northern Hospital—first phase of redevelopment.
- Shrodells Hospital, Watford—first phase of major redevelopment.North East Metropolitan Region23W
- St. George's Hospital, Hornchurch—new out-patient and X-ray departments.
- Chase Farm Hospital, Enfield—extensive rebuilding.
- Harts Hospital, Woodford Green—new district general hospital.
- Whipps Cross Hospital, Leytonstone—extensions and improvements.
- Harold Wood Hospital—completion of new hospital.
- Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford—new district general hospital.South West Metropolitan Region
- Manor Hospital, Epsom—rebuilding.
- New Hospital for mentally subnormal in south-west Surrey.Wessex Region—St. Mary's Hospital, Portsmouth—ward blocks and operating theatres.South Western Region—New geriatric hospital at Devizes.Birmingham Region—Prestwood Hospital, near Stourbridge—new hospital.Manchester Region
- Barrow Hospital—second phase of new hospital.
- Stepping Hill Hospital, Stockport—expansion and rebuilding.
- Salford Royal Hospital—first phase of new hospital.
- Royal Albert Edward Infirmary, Wigan—first phase of rebuilding.