HC Deb 23 June 1964 vol 697 cc54-5W
Mr. Gourlay

asked the Minister of Pensions and National Insurance if he is aware that a person in receipt of National Assistance which included an allowance in respect of rent has been given a grant, including removal expenses, from the Ministry of Labour under the Resettlement Transfer Scheme, and that this person left the house owing rent to the Scottish Special Housing Association which held a decree for his eviction; and whether, in cases of this nature, the National Assistance Board take action to recover the money which has been misappropriated.

Mrs. Thatcher

The National Assistance Board has no power to recover assistance which has been correctly paid but not applied by the recipient for the purpose intended. I am writing to the hon. Member about the case he mentions.