HC Deb 27 May 1963 vol 678 c88W
Mr. Gibson-Watt

asked the Minister of Transport what regulations and what Governmental machinery exist to control the passage on the roads of oversized loads.

Mr. Marples

The Motor Vehicles (Authorisation of Special Types) General Order, 1962, and the Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) Regulations, 1962, control movement on the roads of vehicles carrying over-size loads. The main requirement is that a vehicle which with its load is more than 14 ft. wide, more than 90 ft. long, or more than 150 tons in weight, cannot be used on the roads without my authority. Applications for each movement have to be made to my Department (in the case of journeys starting in Scotland, through the Scottish Development Department).

Under the same Order and Regulations certain controls are also vested in the highway and bridge authorities and the police. The movement of a vehicle which exceeds the normal laden weight limits (for example, 24 tons for an 8-wheeled lorry) must be notified in advance to the highway and bridge authorities. They consider and advise the haulier on the suitability of the proposed route. The police must be notified in advance of the movement of vehicles which with their loads are more than 9 ft. 6 in. wide, more than 60 ft. in rigid length (50 ft. for special vehicles) or more than 75 tons in weight. The police have the power to vary the haulier's proposals as to the time and date of movement and the route.

Forward to